Friday, May 15, 2009

Motion Graphics that INSPIRE me to learn more and improve



I think Insomnia is a great example of audio-driven motion graphics. It's shapes, lines and flow of the camera suits the music so well. Everything looks so neat and pretty too.



This animation has similar design to Insomnia's style. But I think the editing sets them both apart because there are way more disjointed cuts in this compared to Insomnia's fluid camera. And even though it's fast-cutting disorientates the audience a little, I think it goes well with the audio because it's cutting is based on audio cues. For some reason this animation is fairly hypnotic, though it's short.



I really liked the flowing ink. What I'm interested in is how he/she did it. This stuff is way beyond my level of understanding though, so it may take awhile... Lots of research needs to be done.



A friend of mine who's really into post-production VFX pointed me in the direction of Pierre Michel's work and when I saw this video, I fell in love with his work too! Eventually I hope to gain some understanding in "trapcode" and how these fire effects are generated. They are so beautiful, everything about this video is elegant, graceful and tasteful. I was so impressed. And the music here is close to the style of music I'm looking to use in my 3rd assessment piece. Hope I find something soon!

Demo Reel from Brandon McMenamin on Vimeo.

This is what I want to understand, I must know how it's done, how intricate the process is... It will help me be a better Director of Photography in general, and also would be useful if in future I work on films that require a lot of post-production VFX and will therefore be required to do a lot of green screen shooting. I've always wondered how some effects in Sin City were done and have seen some tutorials on videocopilot about how they made it possible. All extremely interesting stuff.


All the videos in this post have really awed and inspired me to have a passion for learning as much as possible about motion graphics and AE, but at the same time, they make me feel small. My level of knowledge about animation and VFX is nowhere near their level! And I really respect people that can do these things, make something out of thin air, or fix something that was a mistake.

Since the beginning of this semester, I've avoided looking at other motion graphics examples, because I know that it'll show me what I can't do (which really gets you down), as opposed to what is achievable for someone with limited knowledge about AE like myself. Also, I don't like watching something and thinking, "oh, I want to make something like that!"; I'd rather think of a concept and try to figure out how I would be able to achieve that with the skills I have in AE, as oppposed to attempting to copy how something was done in some animation I saw that would be too hard for me to grasp in such a short period of time.

But because I've had to reference some videos in this second assessment. I've gone and watched tons of animation videos on youtube, motionographer and vimeo; and I've decided that I should be more open to these things. Anything that has a downside usually has an upside as well, and the upside in this situation is how inspiring and rewarding this experience has been. So once again, I eat my words.

Anyway, in my browsing, I found this link to a site that's very useful for all that are interested in motion graphics.
http://www.gomediazine.com/industry-insights/28-staple-blogs-motion-graphic-artists/

No comments:

Post a Comment